10.16.2005

somewhere in another time

I went to church this morning for the first time in a few weeks. About halfway through the service a woman called all the children up and started teaching some lesson on saying God bless you when people sneeze. The kids were funny and answered her questions in that high pitched, timid sort of tone that can put an encouraging smile on your face. It would have been a decent message except for the fact that she was preaching with a monkey puppet. I’m sorry; I can’t take you seriously with that monkey on stage. The kids can stay, but the puppet really needs to go; you’ve pulled off a poor impression of Mr. Rogers.

Kids are pretty awesome. My brother was talking about buying the new PS3 the other day and my mom mentioned how ridiculous it was to invest in a system like that when you’re only going to be around for a few more years. Three years is not such a long time, but in high school it felt like forever. I’m rather sick of time sneaking up on me like that; college will be over soon, and retirement is just down the road.

Rolling around the yard in a cardboard box, eating snow, building forts, collecting lightning bugs, selling lemonade, making snowmen, being naïve to world affairs, but still wise enough to know that going down a metal slide is much more fun than the plastic ones. What made us want to grow up so fast? The next time July 20th rolls around I’ll just pass. So sorry everyone, but I think I’ll be 19 for another year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home