2.10.2005

throw away your television

I actually did something productive today. Our relay for life team had a meeting last nite so I figured, since I never have much to do, I could draw up a t-shirt design:



It's almost done and the few people I've shown it seem to like it. I haven't picked up a pencil in months. It felt really good to just play around with ideas and lay something out that people might like. Advertising might just work out after all, but I'm having doubts. The field is almost entirely dependent on public manipulation. That doesn't sound cool. I can picture a marketing team sitting around a desk figuring out how to manipulate kids to buy more cigarettes. I don't want to manipulate people for a living unless I'm with Leo Burnett. I could manipulate people all day if I had the chance to work at Leo Burnett. I told a sailor what I wanted to do for a living. He gave me a slight grin and replied, 'even God needs marketing to spread the word.' This is true. It made me feel really good about going into advertising, but then I thought about how I disliked religious advertising. The ads I've seen usually can be interpreted as follow me or go to hell. Maybe I could change that, but I don't think that a lot of people really pay much attention to any sort of religious advertising these days. I don't. I thought about going into mission work, which is almost a form of advertising in itself because there is a message sent out to the public through action. I could live like that I think. It's probably the most effective form of religious advertising. Making an impact would be fun. Working for Leo Burnett would be funner. Maybe I'll do both. I certainly have the time. Or do I? *cue dramatic music*

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe, jack i love it :) I think i'm joining up w/ you guys..it sounds like fun. And youd be amazing in advertising...heh, just like you told me i'd be better to stick w/ the english major. lol, talk to ya tommarrow!
~Brittany~

11:50 PM

 
Blogger krystal said...

haha, that's great, rock on. run forest run

12:18 PM

 
Blogger WDV said...

you posted on my blog.

i dig the picture you drew, looks great. i also am walking in the walk for life deal.

12:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home